In its commitment to excellent standards of plant biosecurity and further to the Company Plant Health Policy, Wyevale Nurseries has identified the plant disease Xylella as a particular threat and will be taking the following measures to minimise the risks:
• Education, involvement and commitment of staff in all areas of the business to the risks posed by the disease Xylella fastidiosa.
• Setting out operating procedures regarding Xylella which take into account legal obligations, risk assessment and documented work practice.
• Incorporate the 5 key areas of action as identified by the Horticultural Trades Association (we are a signature to this HTA initiative) as follows:
o Adherence to the legal responsibility of Plant Passporting on all incoming and outgoing plant stock and excellent record keeping so to achieve complete traceability.
o All plant suppliers will be vetted and approved, or rejected if sub-standard.
o We will work with our approved suppliers to ensure as far as we can that all plants are sourced and originate from Xylella free areas.
o Practice high levels of nursery hygiene, maintaining crop inspection, and husbandry records and responsibly disposing of any unused stock.
o Comply with the national requirement to notify UK Plant Health Service about movement of certain plant species under the `EU Plant and Tree Notification Scheme`.
• IN ADDITION: Adoption of the newly created Horticultural Trades Association`s `Plant Health Assurance Scheme` (PHAS) of which Wyevale Nurseries is a Pilot member and will be independently audited.
• Wyevale Nurseries has identified the following plant genera as posing a particular risk of Xylella infection and has voluntarily ceased growing or importing these plant types: Olea (Olives), Polygala, Nerium (Oleander), Vitis (Grapes) and Citrus . The list may change as and when risk is heightened.
• A commitment to continual improvement within the business, as more is known about Xylella.
• The culture of care for plant health issues will range across all divisions of the Wyevale Nurseries business and be made known to suppliers, customers and specifiers.
Updated August 2019