Wyevale Graduate Management Trainee Programme
Wyevale Nurseries is ONE of the UK’s leading nurseries. Its main business is to supply garden centres, landscape contractors, local authorities, foresters and landowners with a comprehensive array of trees, shrubs, hedging, herbaceous and specimen plants.
Wyevale Nurseries’ 3 growing divisions are all dedicated to their specialist field and comprise
• Field & container grown trees
• Hedging & forestry transplants
• Container grown hardy stock supplying both the amenity and garden centre markets
Container production and the head office are located on the outskirts of Hereford with trees and hedging & forestry transplants based at several satellite sites in and around Hereford.
Root ball Tree Lifting Tree Pruning
Container production Transplant Lifting
Graduate Management Trainee Programme
We are looking to the programme to provide our managers of the future. Several of our current senior management team (including our Managing Director) started life at Wyevale as trainees.
It is a 2 year, in-house Programme which covers all areas of our business. Upon successful completion of the Programme, it is anticipated that we shall be able to match trainees to suitable roles which would benefit from their particular strengths.
The Programme is open to graduates of all degree disciplines, preferably relating to Horticulture, crop based Agriculture and the Sciences, in particular Biology
Management trainees will be paid a salary of between £18 to £20K p.a. depending on relevant skills, knowledge and experience to date
The Programme will comprise a number of secondments to include –
• Container, Trees and Transplants Production Divisions
• Supply Chain Operations which includes both Garden Centre and Amenity Despatch, Goods Handling and Transport
• Head Office departments
The Programme will be delivered through –
• on the job training • attending plant identification training
• visiting other nurseries • attending trade shows and conferences
• attending any external courses if required • project work
• shadowing managers/supervisors • covering holidays
• inducting new staff • observing (and participating in) meetings
Trainee assessment & support:
Assessment will be through regular reviews assessing performance against agreed objectives.
Each trainee will meet with the Programme Co-ordinator – Steve Pandeli on a regular basis. This will be to support the trainee and to conduct regular constructive reviews
By the end of this structured Programme you will have -
• Acquired a thorough understanding/insight of all parts of the business including production, supply chain, sales and head office support functions including finance
• Had the opportunity to lead teams and be assessed on your capability to lead, motivate and manage people
• Received constructive feedback on your development at regular intervals
• Attended relevant supporting courses and been given opportunities to help you with your development
• Learnt how to manage conflict and testing situations
• The ability to demonstrate a practical, hands-on approach to management and have the aptitude to work with and through others
What we are looking for from our potential Management Trainees.
You need -
• To have a positive, “can-do” attitude - to enjoy being challenged to come up with solutions to problems, new situations and people
• To be innovative using not only your ideas but also assessing and supporting others’ ideas – a lateral thinker
• To be responsible for your own learning and able to demonstrate a proactive attitude in learning opportunities
• To have a realistic understanding of the demands made working in the horticultural industry. These include long hours at times, working outside in good and bad weather
• Career-minded, ambitious and flexible in your approach to learning and the opportunities presented to you
Wyevale ex Management Trainees
Ben Gregory, progressed to become Wyevale Nurseries’ Product Development Manager.
Ben added: “The Management Trainee Programme provided me with the skills and experience necessary to secure my first management role. It is such a great opportunity for graduates who are interested in nursery production. I urge anyone interested in the programme to apply as soon as possible.”
Kyle Ross Bsc Horticulture graduate from University of Worcester – Pershore College.
Management Trainee 2016-2018
Kyle has been recently promoted to Production Manager at Wyevale Containers Division.
‘The Wyevale Nurseries’ programme has been the best possible start to my career in Horticulture.’
Chris King Bsc Horticulture graduate from Writtle College.
Management Trainee 2016-2018
Chris has accepted the role of Assistant Production Manager at Wyevale Transplants Division.
‘This programme provides a fantastic opportunity to gain an insight into all aspects of production at Wyevale Nurseries.’
Applicants should in the first instance, forward a copy of their current CV and covering letter describing why you are the ‘Right Candidate’ for the programme to firstname.lastname@example.org.